SlumberPro: Self-help program for treatment of insomnia
What will I need to do?
- You will gradually make changes to things that you do routinely.
- You will learn about new ways of behaving and thinking.
- You will fill in a sleep diary each morning, with questions like "how long did it take you to fall asleep?" and "how many times did you wake during the night?".
- Work through each step of the program and follow the instructions precisely to get maximum benefit.
How long does the program take?
- Four to eight weeks.
- Longer if you are currently taking sleep-assisting medications.
- Your sleep is likely to start improving earlier than that.
- Some people find their goals are met in three to four weeks.
How much time will I need to spend per day?
- Between 30 minutes and one hour per day, depending on how many changes you need to make.
- Consider this time as an investment, it has a much lower cost than poor sleep, and the returns are likely to be better.
What sort of problems can be treated by the program?
- Insomnia, which means you frequently have difficulty falling or staying asleep, or your sleep is not refreshing.
- The program can assist you to stop taking sleep-assisting medications, or to reduce your reliance on the medication.
- We have had success with using CBT for treating people with:
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorder.
- Periodic limb movements disorder.
- Restless legs syndrome.
What problems can NOT be treated by the program?
- Breathing-related sleep disorders.
- Other health-related disorders.
I'm a shift worker, is the program suitable for me?
- Studies have shown that 60% of shift workers suffer from a sleep disorder caused by doing shift work.
- These studies show that these disorders cannot be resolved until sleeping times can be regulated.
- While you may benefit from some of the instructions the program really is not suitable for shift workers.
What improvement can I expect?
- Studies have shown that significant improvements were experienced by up to 91% of people who participated in a range of CBT treatments.
What can I expect from the program?
- This program is designed to guide you in making necessary changes to aspects of your lifestyle and habits.
- It will also teach you valuable skills to manage thoughts and behaviours that impact on your sleep.
- You can expect to learn techniques to assist you to:
- Fall asleep more quickly.
- Spend a higher percentage of your time in bed asleep.
- Reduce your reliance on sleep-assisting medications.
- You must work through the whole program to get full benefit.
Am I on my own throughout the program?
- Trained practitioners will be monitoring your progress.
- Each day's sleep diary provides an opportunity for you to ask questions or make comments.
- This is a self-help program - you work your own way through the program and the more effort you put into the program the better the results you can expect.
Can I sample the program before I pay anything?
- Step one is an insomnia questionnaire where you complete a series of questions on your sleep behaviour. The program will assess your responses and determine whether the program will be of assistance to you.
- After that, you can complete the sleep diaries for a week. The program will provide an assessment of your results.
- You will then have access to an "ebook" which describes the remainder of the program.
- If you decide to continue with the program, then you will need to pay $39.
What do I get after I've paid for the program?
- You will continue to complete the sleep diary each day - after the first week your daily results will be analysed, as well as an assessment of your results at the end of each week.
- You will be guided through a number of stages designed to assist your particular sleep problems.
- You will learn a range of techniques proven to be effective in improving sleep.
- You will have access to trained practitioners - if you are struggling or have any questions simply complete the comments box at the bottom of your next sleep diary and ensure you click "yes" to email the comments to the administrator.
How much does the program cost?
- The program costs $39.